The objectives of the group fall under three main headings
- Emotional support and coping mechanisms to people having a difficult time in their lives.
- Draw strength from other members experiences.
- Improve the quality of life of people living with HIV/AIDS and their families.
- Insure that a person living with HIV/AIDS can lead a positive and productive life.
- Create networking opportunities for those involved in the support group.
- Reduce isolation and discrimination while encouraging acceptance around HIV/AIDS.
- Provide discretionary voluntary buddies to encourage others through difficult phases of HIV management
Education and Awareness
- Provide information so that members can understand the disease and educate family members, friends, colleagues, neighbours.
- Share information around treatment, care and self-management/skills development that will empower members to live well with HIV.
- Educate about ARV’s and to encourage adherence.
- Demystify the disease and promote de-stigmatisation and community acceptance of people living with HIV/AIDS and their families.
- Promote patient involvement in healthcare service delivery
- Build a network of people with similar challenges.
- Provide a community voice and representation for PLWH in Peterborough.